March Break Art Classes
Make the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia a big part of your March Break. Sign your child up for a week-long art class, spend an afternoon sketching in the Gallery, join a guided Gallery tour, or participate in the special March Break Family Sunday!
March Break Programs & Activities (HALIFAX LOCATION)
Drop-in for the afternoon Sketching in the Gallery program facilitated by a local artist on Wednesday, March 15 & Thursday, March 16, 2017. No registration required nor experience in drawing. All materials are supplied. This is a wonderful opportunity to explore art in a different way!
The March Break Family Sunday is always a favourite event. It is a great way for all ages to spend a creative afternoon.
Join a daily Gallery tour at 2:00 and Thursday evenings at 7:30, with a well-trained gallery guide who will engage the group in an interactive exploration of the Gallery.
Art Classes (HALIFAX) - March 13-17, 2017
Sign up for a week of creative fun in the studio facilitated by a local artist. Both half day and full day opportunities are available. Interactive discussions and activities inspired by the original artworks in the Gallery are a unique and inspiring component of this art experience.
Mix it Up!
Mix it up with a wide selection of materials, and discover that there is no end to the creative combinations for art-making. Build tiny dioramas of favourite places; design multi-layered collages using found objects, photocopies and fun mark making tools; and experiment with watercolour resist techniques using wax, tape and glue.
|5 – 7||9am – noon FULL|
|8 – 12||1 – 4pm|
Experiment with different painting techniques! Splash and dab, mix and match to create both realistic and abstract artworks. Use big and small paintbrushes as well as unconventional mark making tools to create expressive and imaginative artworks. Visits into the Gallery to view and discuss paintings will provide lots of inspiration for learning and fun!
|5 – 7||9am – noon FULL|
|8 – 12||1 – 4pm FULL|
Learn more about a variety of processes and techniques using clay to build both functional and sculptural clay works. Play around with surface decoration and pattern too as you explore the wonderful tactile qualities of this material.
|5 – 7||1 – 4 pm FULL|
|8 – 12||9 am - noon FULL|
One, two, three, four and more! Explore the fascinating world of multiple images as you are introduced to a variety of printmaking techniques including stamping, basic block and monoprints, and more. Create cards, banners, as well as experimental works as printmaking invites surprises and the unexpected!
|5 – 7||1 – 4 pm|
|8 – 12||9 am - noon|
- Class size is limited to 13 participants unless otherwise noted.
- Students are to be dropped off and picked up from the Education Centre on the first floor of the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia (Gallery South, Main courtyard entrance).
- There is no supervision before 8:30 a.m.
- After school care is available until 4:45 p.m. for an additional fee.
- Lunchtime supervision is available for an additional fee for full-day students only as space is limited. Students are required to bring their lunch.
- It is suggested that students pack a snack for mid-morning and/or mid-afternoon. Creative work and play makes one hungry! No NUT products please.
- Art making can be messy, so students, please remember to wear your “creative work” clothes!
REGISTRATION AND FEES
- Pre-registration is required for all classes. Our program continues to grow in popularity; please register early to avoid disappointment.
- Fees for week-long classes: non-members $130/week for half-days; $260/week for full-day classes (+HST for all classes). REMEMBER! Family Memberships receive a 10% discount.
FEES INCLUDE ALL ART MATERIALS.
An additional fee of $15 (non-members), $10 (Gallery members) per week will be charged for lunch supervision for students attending full-day classes. A fee of $10 will be charged for after-school supervision.
A limited number of sponsorships are available on a needs basis. If there is insufficient registration, a workshop will be cancelled with fees refunded two weeks prior to the start of the workshop. There is a 10% non-refundable registration fee. There are no refunds two weeks prior to the class.