Autism Arts is designed to create opportunities for people on the autism spectrum by presenting a variety of meaningful and positive art experiences. Art can be an effective and inspiring tool for self-expression, especially if words are missing. There can be limited recreational activities as well that consider the unique needs of participants. Autism Arts provides respectful and appropriately-designed modifications to ensure enjoyment and fulfillment.
Autism Arts provides an ideal opportunity for the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia and Autism Nova Scotia to build healthy communities with arts programming available for children, youth, adults, and families. Beginning in 2006, Autism Arts is now offered at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia in Halifax and at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia Western Branch in Yarmouth.
Weekly art classes are available in the fall, winter, and spring for children and youth ages six through early adulthood. Classes take place in the Gallery studios on Saturdays and are 60 minutes in duration. A well-qualified and experienced artist/art educator and an occupational/recreational or behavioural therapist work together with volunteers to provide a fun, safe, and creative learning environment.
2021-22 Autism Arts Classes
- Spring 2022 Dates - April 9, 23, 30, May 7, 14, 21, 28, and June 4.
- Session Times - Ages 5-11: 10-11am; Ages 12-17: 11:30am-12:30pm; & Ages 18-25: 1:00-2:00pm
- Spring 2022 Dates April 23, 30, May 7, 14, and 28
- Session Times - Ages 6-11: 9:30-10:30am; Ages 12+: 10:45am-11:45pm
- The cost of this 5-week program is $50. Payment will be taken upon your arrival on the first day.
For information on the design of the art program, please call 902-424-2197.