Know Before you Go
The Art Gallery of Nova Scotia will reopen on July 16, 2020, with special hours for members and seniors. The Gallery will also offer free admission to frontline workers until September 1st as a thank you for their bravery during this trying time.
When the doors reopen, you’ll notice that a few things have changed. Our goal is to ensure that you can immerse yourself in art and art experiences in the safest space possible. To make this possible, we have implemented several safety measures throughout the Gallery. Here are a few things you will need to know before you visit:
New Hours of Operation
|Thursday||noon – 5:00 p.m.||for the public|
|5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.||BMO Free Access|
|Friday||10:00 a.m. – noon||for senior and higher risk individuals|
|noon – 5:00 p.m.||for the public|
|Saturday||10:00 a.m. – noon||for members|
|noon – 5:00 p.m.||for the public|
|Sunday||noon – 5:00pm||for the public|
Planning your visit
Things to know before you go:
- If you are not feeling well, showing any COVID-19 symptoms, or have come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 please stay home. We ask that everyone does a self-assessment before visiting.
- The use of a non-medical mask or face covering, if you are able, is strongly encouraged for the duration of your visit. Public Health now recommends that all Nova Scotians wear a non-medical mask in situations where physical distancing is not possible. Please note there are a few areas in the Gallery where physical distancing isn’t possible. Please bring a mask with you or purchase one at the Front Desk for a nominal fee.
- Please ensure that you are able to practice physical distancing to reduce your exposure to other people – you should stay at least two metres away from other visitors and staff.
- Coat room and lockers are available. There will be receptacles for clean and used coat hangers. As always, large handbags/backpacks, umbrellas and oversized personal items are not permitted in exhibition spaces. Please consider bringing as little as possible for your visit.
- If you require a stroller or a wheelchair, please bring one with you for your visit.
- Members are encouraged to visit at any time, but dedicated member hours will be available on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- If you are a frontline worker, please show your ID at the Front Desk to receive free admission until September 1, 2020.
What we are doing to create a safer space
The following practices have been put in place to protect you and our staff and volunteers:
- We have set capacity limits to ensure that visitors can follow physical distancing measures.
- Please note that when visiting there is a designated entrance (Courtyard between Hollis Street and Bedford Row) and exit (into Provincial Building Lobby, 1723 Hollis Street).
- We have introduced a one-way flow throughout the Gallery, where possible, indicated by wall and floor arrows.
- Additional signage has been put in place to help you navigate through the Gallery in the safest way possible.
- Where possible, we ask that visitors take the elevator up and stairs down to help with one-way route.
- Visitors can now use contactless payment options. When visiting, we strongly encourage you to pay with debit or credit.
- The Gallery has increased cleaning efforts in public areas and high touch surfaces.
- Hand sanitizing stations have been installed throughout the Gallery for your use.
- We encourage you to bring your own water bottles. As always, food and drink cannot be consumed in exhibition spaces.
- We ask that all visitors follow the hygiene protocols posted in washrooms and throughout the Gallery.
- Gallery staff will be required to wear a mask when interacting with visitors.
- We are committed to continue assessing these new changes and implement further changes for visitor and staff safety as Public Health guidelines change. safety as Public Health guidelines change.
Impacted events and activities:
- Guided tours and other programming is on hold until further notice. We will continue to monitor Public Heath guidelines as we plan for the reimplementation of our fun and exciting programs.
- Facility rentals are currently unavailable.